Monday, March 8, 2010

Monday Munchies: Salad!

If asked, I would have to say that next to insanely dark chocolate, my favorite food is salad. I could live on salad (and the aforementioned chocolate). I'm not talking about some iceberg lettuce with a couple of cherry tomatoes tossed in there. Take a look ...

Photobucket

The next time you are making a salad, try mixing it up with any/all of the following:

* Greens - my favorite is a mix of the spring mix lettuces and baby spinach
* Fruit - apple wedges, sliced pear, blueberries, sliced strawberries, blackberries, orange/tangerine wedges, grapes, kiwi slices
* cheese - cubes (my favorites for salad are sharp cheddar, parmesan, asiago and sharp provolone); soft cheeses (my favorites for salads are feta and blue cheese); marinated mozzarella; shredded cheese (parmesan and cheddar are my favorites for shredded)
* veggies - sliced peppers, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, beets (I especially like pickled beets), grilled asparagus, artichoke hearts
* proteins - hard boiled egg wedges, a scoop of cottage cheese, diced cold chicken, shrimp, fish
* beans/nuts - sliced almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, chick peas, kidney beans

Photobucket
This was my breakfast this morning: spring mix lettuces, red bell peppers, carrots, apple, bartlet pear, cheddar and provolone cubes, marinated mozzarella, strawberry slices, tangerine wedges, sliced almonds and walnut halves

No comments: